Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Where it began, WOW! What a begining

Greetings and Salutaions All! Welcome to my Blog!

Now the title of this blog is "What's it like to own a $1.00 store?" So guess I should start from the begining, and hopefully give some decent insight to others that just might want to open their own store, or just curious as to what is it actually like? Is there profit in it? What about the compettitors? What makes my store better then them? Do I buy into a franchise, or go it alone? Who do I buy my merchandise from? How do I even get the money to buy a dollar store?

Yes there a lot of questions that can run through your mind when considering owning a dollar store. With this blog you get a real treat from reading exactly what I, and my wife started to believe it was almost impossible, but now a dream come true for us!
I will give many links as I continue this blog as often as possible on a regular basis. It is my hope that you become not only delighted by what you read, but become educated in some way that will give you insight.

So for the first entry I'll explain just how I got started.

My wife due to injury making it hard for her to work at most jobs that require long periods of standing or heavy lifting needed to do something to help supplement our income. I was working for Home Depot as a sales associate in the Lumber & Building materials Dept., and with a 10 year old child growing fast, we needed the extra cash.

So my wife, I like to call "Little Red" decided she would search for "Work at home jobs". She tried everything from taking surveys for cash to getting free stuff. needless to say it never turned out to be worth it, and started also receiving email offers that filled he email inbox. Though there was one offer she didd seem to think had potential, and it would only cost her $1.00.

For a trial period of 30 days, Little Red could own her very own dollar store online for a fee of just $1.00!

Yea it seemed great, and a web site was set up with her name on it, but the only problem was it was not without the sponsors domaine name first in the listing. Also there were thousands of others as well doing the same thing. We contacted family, freinds, and darn near everyone we came into contact with to let them know Little Red had her own online dollar store. Ok lots of people looked at the darn thing but no one actually bought anything!

Frustrated as we were, I had a idea!

I had just come back from the Dollar Tree store in our neighborhood where I browsed the the paper goods isle, hey toilet paper just $1.00, then headed over to the food isle to get those jars of marinated mushrooms we like so much. My daughter then said to me "Why don't everyone buy their food from here, cause they wanted like a bunch of money at the local grocery store for the same thing?".

Thats when the wheels in my head started turning!

I got home, and asked Little Red, what did she think about owning a real store where we would sell food and other consumables for $1.00 or less?
She replied, "I think it sounds like a good idea, but how would we get it going?" Now this was a good question indeed. But with the internet at my finger tips, what could lose from doing some research, right?

Man there is a lot to learn out there!
I found hundreds of wholesale merchants selling products people use everyday for pennies!

Ok now I had a way of buying products that we could sell for anywhere from 40% to 80% profit. But forgot one thing. We needed to have a store with shelves to put the product on! So I discovered with research several companies that for a price, will set you up with everything you need to open a dollar store. One company Liberty Oppertunities Inc. sure stood out above the rest as the best way to get things done.

Then it dawned on me, where are Little Red, and I gonna get the money to do it?

We were barely making ends meet as it was, how would even finance everything we needed? This is where it got hard on the brain, and Little Red began to think it was but a dream that would never come true.
Ok I know a bit about business to realize we would need a loan, and not just a small loan either, and it would take creating a "Business Plan", oh geez this was not gonna be easy, but I'd give it a try. This will be something I'll share at another date, of just how well that went.

The research continues:
Not satisfied with the wealth of information I had now, I needed more!
What I needed next, and where I found it! Thank-you freind indeed!
In the comming days I shall update this blog, and give the true thoughts, and ideas that always are on my mind, even as they continue to shape, and change as I progress through my own business life. In time I will be providing everything from thoughts, ideas, videos, and even maybe my very own E-Book.
Thankyou for visiting my blog, and come back soon for the next entry that I'm sure you will enjoy reading.
What I plan to write about in my blog soon:
* Not Satisfied with the wealth of information I had now, I needed more!
* The darn Business Plan, and the stiches on my scull.
* What I needed next, and where I found it!
* Oooo my credit rating, ouch!
* Becoming a corporation.

2 comments:

Lilypad said...

So when are we going to get the next entry?

M. J. Eisenbaugh - President/CEO said...

That answer is simple, because of the holiday weekend any entries further to my blog have been puased

But look for it anytime Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for your interest, the wait should be worth it I assure you!

Michael